Aquaponics

>> Monday, August 10, 2009

So today must just be a post-y day for me with this blog. And while this post does not really have anything to do with self-publication or the parameters of the self-publishing class, it does have a bit to do with self-efficiency and the DIY mentality. Plus I'm just super excited about it.

I received my Farm in a Box from Atlanta-based Earth Solutions a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, one of the fittings was incorrect, but I finally got that in on Friday and got my aquaponics system up and running. Aquaponics is a combination of hydroponic plant cultivation and aquatic (obviously) fish cultivation. It becomes a self-contained ecosystem. The fish waste feeds the bacteria whose waste provide the plants with their nutrients who in turn cleanse the water for the fish to go on living. And, since it's self-contained, the entire system uses about 90% less water than soil gardening.
It's actually pretty simple to make on your own. All you need is a couple of fish tanks, some gravel, a pump, and a timer. The one I ordered, however, is made entirely of environmentally friendly rubber (to line the tanks) and sustainably harvested birch. Plus, even with shipping, it cost less (and was less of a headache) than purchasing all of the components individually and building it.
But that's simply because I enjoy the aesthetic. You could build one for much much less if you just cut a plastic barrel in half (which they actually suggest on their website just to get more people doing this).

The yield on the plants is three to six times the yield of soil gardening per square foot! And you can plant them closer together since the root systems are not fighting for nutrients in the soil. I'm waiting on an eco-friendly, low wattage, low heat indoor grow light to arrive in the next few days which means I can have fresh, super local veggies all year long!

I've currently got organic Thai Basil and Rosemary in the system. I'm sprouting seeds for Spinach (which I took from my porch garden), Large Leaf Italian Basil, Blackseeded Simpson Looseleaf Lettuce, Lavender, Sweet Banana Peppers, Congo Trinidad Hot Peppers, and actual Tea bushes now which will eventually make their way into the system.

We're letting the tank cultivate bacteria for a few days, but will be adding goldfish on Thursday. (I switched to the plural here because the fish are totally James' thing.) We have a 20 gallon tank or the fish for our system. Larger systems (Earth Solutions sells them up to 200 gallon tanks with a thirty-five square foot planting deck!) can be used for raising and breeding talapia, bass, or other edible fish for the meat eaters, or koi ponds for folks like myself to don't enjoy eating things with faces. Even scaly ones.

At any rate, I was/am incredibly excited for the system and wanted to share my excitement.

3 comments:

surabhi August 11, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

As a fellow DIY-er, I am so inspired by this!!! Thank you for all the info and pictures -- you make it look so easy :)

Anonymous August 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

whoa, I want one

Disco Diablog August 13, 2009 at 1:47 AM  

Andrew! I can't believe all the things you plan on growing. You'll have to take more pictures as the season progresses, I will for sure be following along.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum