Planning

>> Thursday, July 16, 2009

For 'zine #1, I decided to pull together a few short stories I'd previously written alongside the opening preface sort-of-thing for the novel I'm currently working on. So it'd kinda be like a little sample buffet of my writing, minus the sneeze guard.
I decided to use: Daredevil Amphibians: Preface; "Abbaiare A La Luna in Dm for Flute;" "Still;" "Harpen;" and "Words Carved Into Wood."
During our one on one workshopping during class, Jessica and Samantha helped me figure out some design factors. I decided to do the 'zine in the style of the Little Golden Books we can all remember reading as children.



I ran out after class to buy some supplies at Dick Blick:

I bought some pre-creased-for-easy-fold-and-probably-too-expensive-for-what-it-is cardstock in a sky blue, grass green, and cream. Sorry, I got no generic natural descriptor for the cream. Maybe "beach sand cream" could work.

I also sprang for the metallic gold drafting tape. Which is probably unneccesary, but I wanted it to emulate the gold foil from the Golden Books, and I figured it would it'd be a good way to cover up the staples.






After I walked out with my snazzy new book-making supplies (and picked up some new jeans next door) I sat on State Street for a few hours waiting for a friend of mine to come out of the casting call for Art Stars. I utilized the time to smoke way too many cigarettes and sketch out some ideas for the 'zine flow. You can see one of the sketches in the lower lefthand corner of the first photo.

Atom came out - finally - and I set plans for Monday to take photos of some of his artwork to use for my Lulu book. Bonus for getting a head start on the next one!

Once I made it home and really started going through the works, looking for images, and playing with the layout, I came to a conclusion. The design I had in mind from class and the design aesthetic I feel more drawn toward for this work are not condusive. So....

I decided to pull out "Abbaiare..." and stick in "Bullet." I'm going with an early 19th century illustration aesthetic for the 'zine. I also decided to use "Abbaiare..." and the Golden Books design (which really fits that story well) for Book#2. How's that for having the next three projects planned in advance?
The downside of this change in design is that I'm back to the drawing board on supplies for this particular 'zine. So, it's off to the Blick again tomorrow to figure out the cover color/stock for this one. Or maybe it's an upside. I love shopping for paper. Or office supplies in general, actually. Woohoo!

0 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum